image

image

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Not a Knot

There are ways I know you are not my other half.
When I do not see you for months,
I do not despair.
I continue rolling along on my own,
With the quiet thought of you alongside me,
And your memory, without touch, making me smile
Every once in a while.
When I hear love songs
Praising, adoring, crying and dying,
I do not think of you
I do not think of weddings.
Without you I am not incomplete.
You do not make me weak in the knees,
You will never make me say please,
Stay, I’ll do anything.
Neither of us are steady.
I run off when I hear distant music,
You have your nose buried in other worlds.
We are not a knot,
We cannot bind ourselves together,
We are ever growing,
We would suffocate.
This is how I know you are not my other half.
This is how I know you do not complete me.

This is how I know that if I am sometimes a wave,
You are sometimes an otter.
This is how I know that we are both anchors
On our own ships.
This is how I know that if there is one
Who would roll alongside me
And let me be whole,
If there is someone like that
In the world,
I know
It would be someone a lot like
You.


Don't steal my shit, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment