image

image

Friday, September 7, 2012

Underground Supper Clubs

I recently found out about "underground restaurants". Some are more secret than others, and some are not secret at all, just highly selective (such as the 24-hour, all-you-can-eat Chinese-food-oriented Paiza Club on the 36th floor of the Venetian in Las Vegas, where you need a minimum credit line of $1000000 to get in the door). Most, like the one I found below, are like private "supper clubs"; dinner at a secret location, perhaps in someone's home, or on a rooftop in the city. Some are held by aspiring restaurant owners with limited funds, or an aversion to official restaurant regulations (read: illegal). I read about one that smuggled in and served cheese from Paris that is apparently illegal in the United States.

I'm sure I will never know every underground chef's reason for doing what they do, but it fascinates me. I'd love to go to one, especially this semi-secret one that I found, called the Wild Kitchen (http://foragesf.com/home-foragesf/). It's in San Francisco and is centered around foraged ingredients.
UndergroundMarket IMG_9718 DSC_0525

To get in, you have to "apply" and sign up for the email list. If they decide you're in, they tell you the date of the next dinner, and on that day, email you with the exact location. I want to do this so badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment