image

image

Friday, July 19, 2013

Wish I Had Written This, CocoRosie

I had an English teacher my sophomore year of high school who is perhaps, to this day, the best teacher I have ever had. His name was Mr. Hanmer, and he had an unrivaled passion for words and stories.

He would read aloud to us in class (and act out all the parts), and one of the things I remember with the most clarity is when he would stop after a passage and exclaim, "God, I wish I had written that! Don't you wish you had written that?"

I was on Quora today (if you've never been there, gogogo), and in response to the question "What is the best passage you have ever read?":


“But in a way you can say that after leaving the sea, after all those millions of years of living inside of the sea, we took the ocean with us. When a woman makes a baby, she gives it water, inside her body, to grow in. That water inside her body is almost exactly the same as the water of the sea. It is salty, by just the same amount. She makes a little ocean, in her body. And not only this. Our blood and our sweating, they are both salty, almost exactly like the water from the sea is salty. We carry oceans inside of us, in our blood and our sweat. And we are crying the oceans, in our tears.”
― Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram


And I thought to myself, God, I wish I had written that!! Don't you? So insightful and poetic and beautiful. God god I wish I had written that.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

And in other news:

COCOROSIE IS COMING TO SAN FRANCISCO!!!!

Looklooklook.

See in my head these girls can't possibly exist anywhere but in my own personal dreamworld. They are much too cool for this reality. I'm probably going to be that fan trying to touch them (or lick them or marry them).

SO EXCITED.

In honor:



xoxo
Maralah

No comments:

Post a Comment