image

image

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Balance

On April 28th at 9:30 pm, I did my first real headstand.



Fear, together with an understanding of my own body that is still in the beginning stages, kept me up against the wall for a good while. But with determination ("I know I'll do it someday") and slow and steady practice ("I need to build up my goddamn core"), progress is inevitable. And so, with a very controlled little leap and then some crazy core concentration to get my other leg up, I DID MY HEADSTAND!

Working my way up to this point--throwing myself up, falling, panicking--made me feel like a million pounds. My legs felt half like jelly and half like plutonium, heavy and clumsy and never going where I wanted them to.

The funny thing is, once I was up there, I felt incredibly light. Once I got it, finding that little flat place on my head and finally aligning my body, I felt like a feather. My whole body was engaged, and I still have to concentrate to stay in it, but I think I am beginning to discover the meaning of balance.

xoxo
Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment