image

image

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Winter Colors + Christmas Music

I was talking to my wonderful roommate the other day about how in Winter, when everything seems to turn gray (and often gloomy), the colors that do appear are the most beautiful. Evergreens, winter flowers and fruits pop out against a wonderfully accommodating cold, misty canvas.

As I was walking home from class the other day in our lovely Santa Cruz, I couldn't help stopping to take pictures of all of it.

I especially love this little arched pathway, kind of randomly stuck on the sidewalk a few blocks from my apartment. I can't figure out who put it there (the city or the people who live next to it?) but every time I walk under it, I feel a bit like I'm in a fairytale.

Anyway, I am ALMOST officially on winter break. ALMOST done with finals (only one left to go!). I can't wait to go home and make gingerbread houses; it's pretty much all I've been thinking about for the past few days.

And speaking of the holidays: this man is incredible.

Now, the 15-year-old inside ms is screaming, DON'T DO IT JULIANA! THAT MAN HAS BEEN ON THE TOP 100 ON ITUNES! I have a bit of a problem with most mainstream music, you see. It used to be a lot worse. I used to judge people solely by their taste in music, and if they didn't know that Led Zeppelin was a band, not "some old guy", I dismissed them right away. I still strongly believe that most popular music is the work of less-than-talented, auto-tuned celebutantes who have their songs written for them by uncreative and money-hungry souls catering solely to the wants of screaming 13 year old girls. So while every once in a while I admit that a mainstream song is good, or that a popular artist is truly talented, my little teenage self fights it every time.

But THIS man, Michael Buble...my god. He is the second coming of Bing Crosby (who he has named as his personal idol, and sung with). His voice is like butter and snowflakes and I just want to dance with him. Like a singing in the rain type deal (see video below, after the 15-second promo).

Most full-time artists, if they're in the industry long enough, end up making a Christmas album. I shy away from most of them, opting for the classics. It's not necessarily that they're "bad"; it's just that after a while, listening to different versions of all the same songs gets confusing. I like to identify the originals with Christmas. It feels more traditional, more special, that way. But this man I could not escape. He is, quite literally, an instant classic. And THAT is the long explanation as to why, this Christmas, I am getting my parents his CD. :)

Now back to finals and making Christmas presents!

♥ Maralah

3 comments:

  1. Santa Cruz is so magical!
    I used to live there.

    Hi I'm Meredith : )
    Good luck with your final final!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith! :) Thanks for the good luck, I ended up pulling through. Were you a student when you lived there or just passing through?

      Delete